- Muhaydin Mire, 29, charged with attempted murder of a 56-year-old man
- He appeared in court today over incident at Leytonstone Tube Station
- Court heard victim needed five hours of surgery after Saturday’s attack
- Neighbour said suspect was friendly and usually wore Western clothes
- Court heard defendant had ‘Syria-related’ material on his mobile phone
- For more on the London tube attack visit www.dailymail.co.uk/london
Muhaydin Mire, of Leytonstone, appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court today charged with the attempted murder of a 56-year-old man, referred to only as Male A, on Saturday evening.
The central London court heard the victim was attacked from behind in front of several members of the public at about 7pm and required five hours of surgery to a five-inch knife wound on his neck.
Prosecutor David Cawthorne told the court that Mire said he was doing it ‘for Syria and his brothers in Syria’ and alleged the defendant had images and content on his phone relating to the country.
Muhaydin Mire, 29, appeared before Westminster Magistrates’ Court today charged with attempted murder
Mire, of Leytonstone, pictured in the back of a police van today, is accused of cutting a 56-year-old man’s neck
Accused Mire appeared in the dock of the London court wearing grey prison-issue t-shirt and jogging bottoms
Mire, whose brother confirmed is a former Uber driver, is accused of punching his victim to the ground and repeatedly kicking him before taking hold of the victim’s head and cutting a 12 centimetre (five inch) wound into his neck.
Magistrates heard the victim was in surgery for five hours after the attack.
The court heard Mire allegedly brandished his knife at other members of the public, aiming it at the throat of at least two of them. He was Tasered three times by police officers before being arrested, the prosecutor said.
Today, Mohamed Mire told how his brother arrived in Britain from Somalia aged 12 and went to school in Camden, north London.
‘He was a good boy and he loved football. As far as I know he loved education, he wanted to be a computer scientist,’ he told Channel 4 news.
‘It didn’t work out for him. He got in with the wrong people.’
He said that his brother developed mental health problems after smoking cannabis and said he began working as an Uber driver, before his health deteriorated once again.
‘He went a bit crazy, he was saying odd things,’ he said. ‘I explained to the family the situation, we tried to get him help, we tried to call the local authority.
‘They could not help him, they said he was not a harm to people and he was not a harm to himself.’
A shocking picture of the victim slumped in a pool of blood has been posted on social media
Terrifying: Dramatic footage of a man at Leytonstone station following the alleged attempted murder in London
On the floor: An officer fired a Taser but it had no effect, leaving a second one to pull the trigger on his weapon
Mire was remanded in custody until Friday when he will appear at the Old Bailey in London.
He appeared in the dock wearing grey prison-issue t-shirt and jogging bottoms, and spoke only to confirm his name, address and date of birth, after being prompted twice by the court’s legal adviser.
When asked by District Judge Quentin Purdy if he understood that he had been charged with attempted murder he nodded his head.
A neighbour of Mire has said he seemed friendly and wore western clothes such as jeans and trainers apart from on Fridays.
Law student Rothstein Williams helped the suspect move into a ground floor flat in the low rise estate and was shocked to learn he had been accused of the crime.
Neighbour Mr Williams said: ‘I saw the police arrive at his home. I don’t know why anyone would do something like that. He seems so reserved.
‘He wore normal western clothes but sometimes he wore his traditional Muslim dress on Fridays and go to the mosque.
‘I’ve seen him have visitors. He said they were cousins. I helped him move in, helped him carry chairs and his bed. He was nice. He said thanks very much. He was always friendly to me.’
Kept up the fight: David Pethers said he and another commuter took on a man to protect passing children
On guard: Police have increased patrols at transport hubs to ‘identify and deter terrorism’ after the incident
Mire’s address was given as this housing block in Leytonstone. Neighbours expressed shock at the events
Tom Elvidge, General Manager of Uber in London, said: ‘We’re appalled by this terrible attack and our hearts go out to the victims.
‘Muhaydin Mire was a private hire driver who was licensed by Transport for London. He started driving on the Uber platform in June 2015 and has not taken a trip since August.’
Mire’s court appearance came after an engineer caught in the middle of the Leytonstone incident told how fellow Tube passengers filmed on their mobile phones as he attempted to tackle a man.
David Pethers was slashed in the neck in the incident at Leytonstone train station in east London on Saturday night.
Mr Pethers, 33, said: ‘There were other adult men standing there, just filming it on their phones. There were so many opportunities where someone could have grabbed him.’
The incident raised further questions over whether police have the manpower and equipment they need to tackle suspected terrorists.
Kevin Hurley, a former senior Metropolitan Police Service officer, said: ‘Even just a few miles from the centre of London, it shows the utter dearth of armed officers in the capital.’
And Ken Marsh, head of the Met Police Federation, said he hopes the confrontation will encourage chiefs to bolster firearms officer numbers more quickly.
‘We are not an armed service,’ he added. ‘But I hope that because of the threat we face we will see more armed response vehicles in boroughs.
‘The Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe is behind that as well. He wants more officers and I hope what we saw on Saturday will speed it up.’
Emergency: Paramedics help the victim into an ambulance outside the Tube station following the incident
In the wake of the Paris attacks last month Sir Bernard ordered an immediate increase in the number of armed response vehicles patrolling the capital.
And he said he wants to double the numbers of his officers who carry firearms to 4,000 after an emergency meeting with those who lead the units.
British Transport Police chiefs said yesterday that they were increasing the number of armed officers patrolling the transport network.
Officials have warned for months that a terrorist attack is highly likely. The official threat level is ‘severe’.
Source: Mail Online